Sorry for the long title of this post. But it is the most accurate description of a problem we're having in a project at the moment. Safari 4 on Windows seems to crash in what I perceive to be a common use case. Here are the minimal steps that I came up with for reproducing the problem:
- create a new web site in IIS
- enable integrated authentication on this web site
- connect to the new web site with Safari 4 for Windows
- provide incorrect credentials
At this point Safari 4 crashes on my system.
Providing correct credentials allows us to continue. But in the application my team is building, we will often encounter another authentication problems later on.
- Safari pops up a log on box when we open a page from the same web site in an iframe. No matter which credentials we provide, we can't continue.
I've been searching whether this is a known problem for a while now. But I haven't found a single page that points out the problem we encountered here. Hence this simple write-up.
Has anyone had similar problems with Safari on Windows? If so, is there any way to work around the problem? Because as it is, we can't really support our application on Safari 4 on Windows. :-/